About Son of Man

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Canada Supports Illiteracy

Okay, maybe that is not true but I will make a case for it at the end. I have been staggered by the problems many youth have comprehending basic vocabulary, interpreting punctuation, and focusing on a non-moving target (a book for instance) for any period longer than 10 seconds (literally). The other day I was reading Ephesians 5 with a boy (the part about who will and who will not inherit the kingdom) when he stopped me and asked what the word 'impure' meant. I guess I could add to the above list: inability to recognize common prefixes. I love being asked what 'ignorance' means. Those are always good times. It seems necessary to allegorize every term. That is also fun. All of this became even more apparent (though not suprising) when I went on to get schooled in "an easy" Xbox game.

Are the kids I hang out with the exception? I wonder what education was like back when it was God-centered. The reason this concerns me is because God happened to reveal himself in a book. Too bad he didn't just wait and release it on DVD. Does everything need to be interactive? Will anything ever replace the reading of the Word?

I'll try to redeem the inappropriately bold title now. Canada supports illiteracy by keeping God and his book out of education. I think I can stand by that.

So, since I'm here, go out and BUY the brand new Voice cd. Don't even think about it. Just trust me. Any Christian who loves reformed doctrine will HEART this disk.

5 Comments:

Blogger lowonthego said...

"i wonder what education was like back when it was God-centered. The reason this concerns me is because God happened to reveal himself in a book."

hmm...definitely food for thought.

6:51 AM  
Blogger amac said...

Good to know these kids got my man JR to fill in the gaps the edu system ain't filling in.

P.S. anyone know the literacy rate in China? that might be a good couter-example to you big guy

10:55 AM  
Blogger lowonthego said...

hmm the literacy rate in China (age 15 and over who can read and write) is about 90.0%...with 95% males being literate..and 86.5% females.

HOWEVER, Amac, Chinese schools actually DO use the Bible to teach children how to read--many girls i met in China had read the bible in their English classes. They are, however, given a caveat that the Bible is ONLY a piece of literature...not the living Word of God.

So...it doesn't really work as a counterexample..

its pretty ironic that this communist country uses the Bible to teach children how to read...whereas the Bible has been removed from the school system here in Canada.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Ipod vs other mp3 players Accutane and fibromyalgia subaru outback slush mats Used mercedes benz slr class Debts due acne help boating in england sports nip slip http://www.car-alarm-systems2c-car-security-system2c-enforcer.info supplements herbal football rules Movies peeing Monarch pharmacy ultram Stradagies of texas holdem

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home