About Son of Man

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Listen to your heart

This has been the least relaxing summer that I can think of. I haven't even been blogging. The ol' outdoor ball program is both physically and mentally draining but it is teaching me many things. It is always amazing how much you learn from the kids that you are leading and mentoring.

It is interesting what the word 'Christian' means to so many people. I asked one teen why he considered himself to be a Christian and what made him one. He answered, "um, I don't know, it is like a lifestyle." If that is all it is, then people have every right to be offended and angry when people like me "cram it down their throats" and "judge" them. In that case I wouldn't be much different than some vegan snob going around telling everyone that they NEED to quit eating meat and stuff. Actually, as a way of life, it's pretty unappealing. Sorta like being a vegan I suppose. I like to call it a transfomation of the mind that leads to a life of good works and salvation from God's just wrath.

******

Anyways, I've been watching this great documentary called Hell's Bells (borrowed from Tim who also wrote a review of the semi-recent dvd). It is about the 'power and spirit of popular music.' Don't judge the vid by my comments here since, needless to say, I wont be reviewing it like Tim has and they'll just be misleading but just might serve the purpose here. So, just read his post.

At one point they display a quote from Anton Szandor Lavey and his buddies which basically calls the 'triumphant strains' of Sinatra's 'My Way' one of the most satanic songs of the 20th century. Why? As Occultist Aleister Crowley wrote, "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law," Frank's song articulates the key to satanic worship: The worship of self. Is this not the same refrain heard in the millions of songs that tell you to "listen to your heart?" Or even more clearly "do what you want."

Proverbs 28:28 says, "he who trusts in his own heart is a fool" (NKJV).

Jeremaiah 17:9 says, "the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately sick" (ESV).

Why did God flood the earth again? Oh ya, it was because "every intention of the thoughts of [the heart of man] was only evil continually" (Genesis 6:5 ESV). God's reason for not flooding the earth again is also very interesting. Take note of Genesis 8:21: "I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth."

Or some new testement action. Mark 7:21-22 says, "For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness.

I love music but it is NOT neutral.

Serve your king

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bam!!!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Yeah Josh,

I am always continually amazed at the enemy within, my heart! I just posted a couple of interesting things on McLaren's teachings. Let me know what you think. Have a great day,

Nick

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said...

Hey Josh,
You're dead on about the neutrality thing. In fact, I would say that there is nothing in the universe that is neutral!
I enjoyed watching Hells Bells 2 because it was pretty entertaining and it had a lot of good things to say. Although I believe that Christians can enjoy "secular" entertainment, we do have to be informed on what it is that we're listening to, reading or watching. Often-times various things in media can help to inform us about where our culture is and where it is going.
For a good series of lectures on culture and entertainment, check out the ones by William Edgar at the Chesterton House website: http://www.chestertonhouse.org/audio.html Scroll down to find his lectures, they are excellent!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home