About Son of Man

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Dealing with Kingston and a few thoughts on relevance

Queen's is a great school and all but these kinds of things just don't happen in the T dot. What kind of a sign is that? This was on Saturday.

********

Another funny thing happened today (Sunday). I had my friend Ken over after Church, and he was flipping through one of the latest issues of Relevant. After realizing that the majority of the music reviews were on secular bands he said, "shouldn't this magazine also be relevant to Christians?" I laughed. Though I love many things about the magazine, his comment was very profound to me. It is a very thin line to walk when you want to balance relevance (I mean it in a good sense, as in being able to powerfully and effectively reach unbelievers at this time in history) with "not being conformed to the pattern of this world (Rom 12:2)." I don't know where the line must be drawn. I really have no idea. How do we know when we are becoming too influenced by the trends of our culture and if we should be resisting these things or embracing them in order to "save some (1 Cor 9:22)."

I guess we judge all things by the standard of scripture. I wonder, if I really did that, would I get convicted about all of the secular music that I own and love? Is there a rule or can I deal with instances individually? I wonder if I even have the maturity or the honesty to do this...Am I remaining relevant or am I just holding onto the things of this world?

What I am really worried about is the fact that my favourite David Lee Roth vinyl is neither relevant nor edifying. Conundrum indeed.

11 Comments:

Blogger lowonthego said...

haha i pretty much want all the night market pics.

so you should give them to me.

please and thanks. ^_^

9:27 PM  
Blogger Son of Man said...

I didn't take very many...I was having a hard time with the light and my camera...I do have some cute ones of you guys on the bus though...good times.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Son of Man said...

I just found out that Terra blogs...she's great eh!?

9:40 PM  
Blogger lowonthego said...

haha yeeeeah. terra is pretty much super!

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fyi, the signs like that are all over Kingston to try to prevent people from parking on the side streets during the work day. My old house had a sign in front saying you couldn't park from 1-2 pm or from 4-5pm. It's one of the city's quirks.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

"...my favourite David Lee Roth vinyl is neither relevant nor edifying..."

Nor is it good. Toss it. Conundrum solved.

Josh, when will you come around and realize that country is God's music? I'll keep praying for you. In the meantime, check this out and see if it doesn't help. :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger lowonthego said...

haha i pretty much agree with your friend jlf this time..

minus the country music part of that...but even some country isn't half bad.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Ok both you and I know Roth shouldn't be taken seriously... therefore shouldn't you take the lyrics with a grain of salt, not seriously at all? I mean if you want to toss the record you could... or you could give it or sell it to me and I'll take it LOL

2. You should definitely NOT toss your Rick Wakeman album you lent me this past week... dude it's AWESOME! Keep that sucker!

-Nagoda (Mike)

10:11 AM  
Blogger TwinsK&D said...

Good Times Josh

Jack isn't relevant to Relevant Magazine. Relevant magazine is relevant to Jack. Oh ya!

Thanks for the fellowship Bro!!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Josh! How's it going? I agree with the strangeness of the Kingston parking sign. Also, I think secular music can be good common ground for friendships or conversations with non-Christians; then again, sometimes secular music has stupid lyrics. Fine line indeed.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home