About Son of Man

Saturday, July 29, 2006

A (brief) meditation on Evangelism

In his recent book, Sharing Your Faith With Friends and Family, Michael Green says,

One of the things we need to do if we are to help people to Christ is to puncture the apathy about ultimate issues, the cocoon of surface happiness with which our friends tend to protect themselves.

I think this is really key. This type of thing is demonstrated in so many different ways. It could be partying, excessive dating, acting as if nothing bothers you, or embracing the contradiction of moral relativism. Green says that a great way to puncture the proverbial cocoon is to ask a question - an unloaded one. But if I expect someone to answer my question I must first demonstrate sensitivity and transparency. I need to learn how to facilitate real give-and-take in the discussion instead of just pontificating about God.

The new Voice CD opens with a talk by Josh Harris. In it he says that the gospel is vulnerable. I think this is true in the sense that we can severly misrepresent the Bible and its message by the way we handle it. The million dollar question is: Can I present the gospel with enthusiasm and urgency without being pushy or hard and also be vulnerable myself?

9 Comments:

Blogger lowonthego said...

hmm...i think you'd like the book

Questioning Evangelism by Randy Newman...

remind me to loan you my copy the next time you're here.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy Newman? As in that annoying piano player who did the songs for Toy Story and who's been mocked on Family Guy I don't know how many times? Oh Randy, I'm so glad you've given up your piano playing ;) just joking guys, you know me

-Nagoda

7:08 PM  
Blogger Son of Man said...

good times

7:40 PM  
Blogger amac said...

a different randy mike.
lemme know when i can borrow that ev book JR

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that was a great entry. Very profound and relevant. I'm so glad I stopped by.

9:23 PM  
Blogger MontrealWhole30 said...

just made a blog spot of my own.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh i know it was a different randy, i was just being ridiculous... as always (ive got to learn to stop being so ridiculous... or maybe its inherent in me blood... oh no... the horror, what will we ever do...)

-Nagoda

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your wildoliveshoot.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://magic-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://magic-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend Jennifer

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your wildoliveshoot.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home