About Son of Man

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Apparently a lot is in a name

Until now, I have been most wrongly refering to Dr. Michael Haykin as "Mike" Haykin (previous blogs). What I wouldn't give to somehow have the guts to call him Mikey, just once. I suppose he has a point since his name means: who is like God? The bastardization of a name with such a great truth behind it does rob it of some of its power and authority. Never again.

Ironically enough, the sermon he preached at my church tonight was about the significance of the names of those listed in the 16th Chapter of Paul's letter to church in Rome. Brilliant. Listening to this sermon makes you feel like dropping everything and becoming a historian immediately.

I wonder if the people of Grace Fellowship Church take for granted the preaching we receive every week. For example, when our beloved Paul is away, or sick, or just not preaching, people like Tom Schreiner, Glendon Thompson, Michael Haykin, and Clint Humfrey fill the pulpit (Julian, our humble Assistant Pastor has also been known to light up the pulpit and did once again this morning). If anyone from Grace reads this, or any other fortunate person who sits under brilliant preaching of the Gospel each week, to you I ask what Michael asked us tonight: Is all of this for merely filling our heads with tons of knowledge? I think a quote from Alex Montoya will answer this question very well. When approached by a person from his church who was seeking to leave the church because (s)he was "no longer growing under his ministry," Alex replied, "You fat slob. Who have you spoken to about what you have learned here. Have you been sharing your faith?" Alex told me that I'll never grow until I start sharing what I know with the world.

Are we hoarding truth?

I have been miraculously healed of paralysis, blindness, and death but have I returned to my house and not told anyone about what the Lord did for me?

I think a good exercise would be to resolve to tell at least two people (Christians or not) about what we learned on Sunday. I can't think of any better way to test whether or not we understood what we heard or even cared about what was said. It isn't hard to forget on Monday what the preacher preached on Sunday if we stop thinking about it as soon as we get home and go back to our lives.

Lets share the well and serve our King.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julian Freeman said...

The gauntlet grim,
thus laid down by him,
who's the shortest of them all
will tell--if it can--
whose the better man,
smallest Josh, or tallest Paul?

I'd make the challenge you versus me, but Julian doesn't rhyme with "all". Did you just pick "two people" as the number because you've already told two people? :) I blogged about it, does that count for anything? :)

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home