About Son of Man

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Malcolm X and Spirituality

I watched Malcolm X this week for one of my classes at York. Cool flick. Long. Anyways, he converts to Islam in prison. When he gets out, his life mission is to unify black Americans and fight for their rights in the name and power of Islam and the teachings of "the honorable" Elijah Muhammad. Malcolm was a good Muslim. He said his prayers. He acknowledged the sovereignty and providence of Allah and also lived like he believed it. He made the Haj. Later, close to the end of his life (at least in the movie) his dedication to Islam and to his cause led to his betrayal and assassination by those exploiting the cause for cash and cars.

Usually, when I think of Islam, it makes me say, "ew, icky. Works righteousness and legalism." The other night, I watched the 2 1/2 hour film again. This time something struck me. He had it right. Or, half right. He understood that serving the almighty creator requires no less than your whole life. His mistake was rejecting Jesus Christ. But do I have it only half right? Am I half-heartedly serving the King of Kings and withholding due praise from the sovereign of all things, visible and invisible?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger lowonthego said...

wow..new layout. or at least title picture or whatever one would term it in html/css lingo.

***

so i read this post...and then thought to myself angrily,
" I DIDN'T NEED TO HEAR THIS RIGHT NOW."

serving the almighty creator requires no less than your whole life

this is hard. especially for a prideful person like me...who already has her whole life planned out.

*sigh*

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh you think you have your whole life planned out and then God says to you "id like you to do this for me" and then EVERYTHING changes. hes funny like that.

AND IM STILL WAITING FOR THAT BLOG ADD!!!!!!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Good point Josh! Maybe the reason so many Muslims do not believe in Jesus is because they think that the Christians themselves act like they do not believe it (e.g. being seduced by individualism, materialism, the goddess aphrodite, etc.).

1:40 PM  
Blogger MontrealWhole30 said...

I agree with Nick. I've heard Muslims disagreeing with Christianity based on Christian's actions. The way they don't show God's power and regeneration.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home